Friday, April 15, 2016

Two plagues in Kiribati...cobeen and maamaa November 1, 2015





                                                                               




One funny thing that happened this week. One of our investigators live across from the Mental which is where they keep the crazy people. We are not sure exactly how it works because multiple of them escape daily and wander around... Anyways crazy people always slip out to our people’s house and chill and this crazy girl was sitting there and she saw us and went off about Mormons and how she was baptised and about Joseph Smith nothing bad just crazy talkin like a crazy person. Anyways she was like (Imwain ngkami nako ti riai inka) We have to hug before you go. And she grabbed Elder Miller and then she started coming for me and i juked her and ran out of the house. We are really good friends with the people in the house and they were all DYING laughing and have been bringing it up. It's funny.









I’m excited! So like essentially, kids just run in  packs all day playing and this one huge pack of kids wants to join the church and they already had most lessons but never baptised. So we will probably be teaching a huge pack of kids soon just this little 10 year old cool guys they are super tough it's hilarious. Before church we walk around and wake our people up and one of them spotted us and were like "Elders I’m coming with you" threw on his clothes and went to church with us. I showed him dad's coin trick where you rub it on your arm and it disappears and then you "cough" it up. And he was like “I can do that” and ate the coin and spit it out. That was funny.


One thing about Kiribati is people fight in the open quite a bit. And no one cares!!! It was insane!  We were standing there at this house and this little 7 year old walked over to this other 7 year old and started to beat down like straight punching each other in their faces and like picking up rocks and hitting each other. And the whole family saw and really didn't do anything for a long time until the older brother walked over and separated. It was so weird like we will just walk along and these teenagers just start fighting and tons of adults see and don't even try to stop it for a while it's just like what the heck!!! That's a weird cultural thing for sure.


Second email:


What's up people!!!! It's been a good week!!! I was thinking about how is the exact same grind every single day and then I looked at what that had gotten us, and I realized we had an army. We literally have at least 10-15 young men ages 12-20. It's so sick because like some of them are already friends and talking to each other about lessons and one of our people even got another one of our investigators a lot more interested!!! Our big baptismal date is coming up on the 14th! We have around 10 or more people who agreed to that date and hopefully they will all work out!!! We didn't meet our baptismal goal last month which was sad because like 5 people kinda bailed:/ But hopefully we will keep going.


There are two plagues in Kiribati. Cobeen and maamaa. Cobeen is this tabacco chew thing all Kiribati people do because they are bored, it's not even addictive they just do it idk. And maamaa is worse. Maamaa means like shy. Almost everyday we hear "I maamaa".  And because they are all so shy they will never go to church or do things because they are so scared of going outside their comfort zones- it's so frustrating!!


My feet are all good now I got some medicine and its all healed up now so it's all good!! Don’t worry I do everything I can to stay healthy! Even the working out for 30 min in the morning. Which I never want to do because I am tired. But the PMG (Preach My Gospel manual)  says if you want a good study you have to and I can see some progress so that's fun!


This morning our zone woke up at 5 and went on a hike to this little bridge thing. It was cool because we had to walk from one island to another and we had to go waist deep in the ocean to get across, and then we had to take a canoe thing back once the tide rose so it was fun!!! It’s crazy to think that I've almost been on my mission 3 months!!! That's 1/8 of my mission over! I can only imagine how quickly the next two years will fly by.


I think this Elder is going to get his hair cut


















Yesterday I realized my time for not being fluent in Kiribati is over now that I've been here 2 months. Yesterday at our dinner they were like "you are not good at Kiribati yet?!" It’s all good I know it’ll come little by little! I've realized harder then not knowing how to say things and translate is knowing how to teach. I have to have a plan of the structure of a lesson or I feel pretty much helpless. That’s what I’ve been doing a lot of is just going through and making a basic lesson structure and its helped. Last P day our neighbors taught Miller and I a Kiribati dance so we have been dancing at a lot of our dinners. The Monday night dinner may have been the funnest dinner yet!!! It was at our neighbor's house and our neighbors are literally a house of 20 high school aged kids. It's constantly a huge party. It's fun being their neighbors.


It's fun not being the super new kid on the block now that the new intake is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment